Friday, February 8, 2013

Recipe: Sports Drink (without the sugar)

This sports drink is, by far, the best you can drink when you’re overheated OR when you’re participating in a long workout or endurance event (i.e.  ½ marathon race or training that goes over 90 minutes).  It’s also good for you to consume this drink when the weather is warm and you’re sweating a lot or feel more fatigued than normal.

I’ve used this drink the day before my event/race/training as well as during and for the day after as well.


Ingredients:
Juice of ½ lemon
Juice of ¼ lime
3 dates (fresh or soak dried for 4 hours) *
1 cup of water
1 cup of coconut water
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp coconut oil
Blend all ingredients in a blender.  Strain if you don’t want the pulp.

* You can pre-soak the dates to rehydrate, but I usually make my batch ahead of time and therefore I pre-soak the dates in the mixture.  Then I blend it all together just before putting in my drink bottle.  Or, you can also cut down on the dates.  I usually use 2, and sometimes I don’t use the agave nectar.

If you’re not using this drink as an endurance drink you can also eliminate the conconut oil.
The glucose from the dates enters your blood stream quickly and the sugar from the coconut water enters slowly spreading the energy over a longer period making this a great drink while exercising too!

Feel free to add a small amount of sea salt too, ¼ teaspoon, if your workout had you perspiring more than usual or if it was hotter out then you’re used to.

And, it’s okay to store for a few days in the refrigerator too.

No comments:

Post a Comment